If you were injured as a pedestrian in Minneapolis, MN, you may be entitled to seek damages from the person responsible for your injuries. Call an experienced Minneapolis pedestrian accident lawyer at Hall Law P.A. to help you fight to recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and your pain and suffering at (800) 292-1979.
Our lawyers have been fighting for accident victims like you since 1979. Collectively, we have over 40 years of experience handling personal injury cases like motorcycle accidents, Minneapolis truck accidents, Minneapolis bicycle accidents, dog bite injuries, and more.
Pedestrian accident injuries are often severe. To learn more about how a lawyer can help with your case, contact our law offices in Minneapolis, Minnesota, to schedule a free consultation today.
How Our Team at Hall Law Personal Injury Attorneys Can Help If You Were Hit By a Car While Walking in Minneapolis
After being hit by a car, every day can be a struggle. If you were seriously injured, it could be weeks, months, or even years before your life returns to normal. During that time, you’ll find that the costs of treatment can be extremely expensive. You may feel even more helpless if you’re unable to work while you recover.
Hiring an experienced Minneapolis personal injury lawyer is the best way to protect your finances. At Hall Law Personal Injury Attorneys, we were recognized as Attorney of the Year for 2021 by Minnesota Lawyer. We’ve also earned an AV-Preeminent rating and were listed as Rising Stars by Super Lawyers magazine.
Our lawyers can help with your case by:
- Providing honest answers to all of your questions
- Conducting an in-depth investigation to find out what happened
- Gathering evidence to establish liability and prove causation
- Calculating the fair value of your personal injury claim
- Defending you when the at-fault driver tries to blame you for the crash
- Negotiating with the insurance companies and defense teams for a fair settlement
Our Minneapolis personal injury attorneys have the knowledge and skills to protect you from unfair insurance tactics and schemes. We’re here to help make sure the insurance company takes your case seriously. Just call our lawyers for a free consultation today.
How Common Are Pedestrian Accidents in Minnesota?
The streets are becoming more dangerous than ever for pedestrians. According to research published by the Governor’s Highway Safety Administration (GHSA), pedestrian fatalities reached their highest level in 40 years in 2021. That year, 7,485 pedestrians died in traffic accidents nationwide.
According to the Minnesota Office of Traffic Safety, about 48 pedestrians are killed in car accidents each year in Minnesota. In 2021, however, 56 pedestrians were killed statewide. Most of those fatal accidents occurred when a pedestrian was crossing the street.
A total of 845 pedestrians were involved in motor vehicle accidents during 2021. In addition to the 56 fatalities reported, another 710 pedestrians were injured. At least 169 of those injuries were serious.
According to the Minnesota Department of Public Safety (DPS), most pedestrian accidents occur in highly populated areas like Minneapolis.
What Is My Minneapolis Pedestrian Accident Case Worth?
Establishing the value of a personal injury case can be a complicated process.
Some of the most important factors that can influence your case value include:
- The nature of your injuries
- The circumstances of the accident
- The costs you incur due to the injury, including medical care and rehabilitation
- Whether your doctor thinks you will need ongoing future medical treatment
- How the injury impacts your current and future earning capacity
- How the injury is expected to change your life
- Your pain, suffering, and distress
At Hall Law Personal Injury Attorneys, our experienced personal injury lawyers in Minneapolis closely evaluate each case on its merits. We’ll carefully review your medical records and work closely with trusted experts when assessing the value of your claim. With their help, we’ll have the evidence to establish the value of your complex and subjective damages.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Pedestrian Accident Victims in Minneapolis?
Minnesota personal injury laws divided compensatory damages into two categories: economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are your financial losses, including:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost income during recovery
- Reduced future earning potential
- Nursing care
- Property damage
Under Minnesota law, victims of serious injuries can also seek non-economic damages.
Non-economic damages account for your subjective losses that don’t have a clear financial value, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Reduced quality of life
- Anxiety and depression
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Shame or humiliation
- Loss of consortium
You can seek non-economic damages if one of the following is true:
- Your medical expenses exceed $4,000
- You suffer a permanent injury or disfigurement
- The accident was fatal
- You are disabled for at least 60 days
Proving non-economic losses can be difficult. Our experienced pedestrian accident lawyers take the time to get it right in each case we handle. That way, you can rest assured that your damages award fairly accounts for all of the losses you have suffered.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for Causing a Pedestrian Accident Under Minnesota Law?
Pedestrians often have the right-of-way in Minnesota. That said, pedestrians don’t always have the right-of-way in every case. Pedestrians can share blame for causing a car accident. If that’s true, they can also be held accountable.
Minnesota has modified comparative negligence laws. Accident victims can recover compensation if they share some blame for an accident. However, once your share of fault is more than the defendant’s, you can no longer seek compensation.
Pedestrian Accident Injuries Can Be Severe and Even Life-Threatening
As a pedestrian, you have nothing to protect you while you’re walking down the street.
You can count on our team at Hall Law Personal Injury Attorneys to fight for full compensation for all types of injuries, including:
- Broken bones
- Pelvic injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Broken hips
- Whiplash injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back injuries
- Organ damage
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
Pedestrians are most likely to suffer severe injuries in a crash. If you were injured, call our law firm in Minneapolis to learn more about your legal options today. We offer free case reviews so you can get the legal advice you deserve.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Minneapolis, MN?
Many different factors can play a role in causing a pedestrian accident. Often, these accidents occur when drivers are careless and aren’t watching for pedestrians.
Some of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Texting while driving
- Poor visibility
- Lack of sidewalks or infrastructure to protect pedestrians
- Distracted driving
- Failure to yield the right-of-way at intersections or crosswalks
- Dangerous turns
- Aggressive driving
- Passing too closely
- Failure to check for pedestrians while backing up
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Drunk driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs
- Poorly marked crosswalks
- Malfunctioning traffic signals at intersections
Accident victims are responsible for identifying the cause of a crash. Once our lawyers determine why the accident happened, we can work to hold the responsible parties accountable. We’re ready to get started today, so contact our Minneapolis pedestrian accident attorneys for a free consultation.
How Do I Prove Negligence After Suffering Injuries in a Pedestrian Accident in Minnesota?
Most of the time, pedestrians are injured because a driver was negligent. Negligence means that someone failed to exercise reasonable caution and someone was injured as a result. What constitutes “reasonable caution” will vary from case to case.
Our lawyers can help you search for evidence to prove the four elements of negligence, which are:
- A legal duty of care existed
- The at-fault party breached the duty of care
- The breach was the direct cause of the accident
- You sustained damages
Here are some examples of the evidence that may be most useful in your case:
- Police and accident reports
- Eyewitness statements
- Photos and video footage
- Medical records
- Evidence from the crash scene
- Expert testimony from accident reconstruction specialists, medical experts, and others
This evidence can help us identify all responsible parties–remembering that, in some cases, the person responsible for paying your damages may not even be present at the accident scene.
How Long Do I Have To File a Pedestrian Accident Lawsuit if I Was Injured in Minnesota?
The statute of limitations restricts your time to file a Minnesota pedestrian accident case. Once the deadline passes, you lose your right to seek compensation for your losses.
The deadline depends on the facts of your case. That makes it important to speak with a lawyer sooner rather than later. Our pedestrian accident lawyers in Minneapolis are here to discuss your case when you’re ready. Just give us a call to schedule your free initial consultation today.
Contact a Minneapolis Pedestrian Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
If you were injured in a pedestrian accident, you deserve the best possible legal representation. These cases aren’t always easy to prove–even if liability seems clear. Contact an experienced Minneapolis pedestrian accident lawyer at Hall Law Personal Injury Attorneys to learn more about how we can protect your legal rights today.
Our personal injury law firm in Minneapolis, MN, also provides:
- ATV Accident Lawyer in Minneapolis, MN
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Minneapolis, MN
- Boating Accident Attorneys in Minneapolis, MN
- Brain Injury Attorney in Minneapolis
- Car Accident Lawyer in Minneapolis, MN
- Catastrophic Accident Lawyers in Minneapolis, MN
- Child Injury Lawyer in Minneapolis, MN
- Construction Accident Attorney in Minneapolis, MN
- Dog Bite Attorneys in Minneapolis, MN
- Electrocution Injury Lawyer, Minneapolis, MN
- Elevator & Escalator Accident Lawyers in Minneapolis, MN
- Explosion Injury Attorney in Minneapolis, MN
- Farm Accident Lawyer in Minneapolis, MN
- Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Minneapolis, MN
- Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer in Minneapolis
- Product Liability Attorneys in Minneapolis, MN
- Snowmobile Accident Lawyers in Minneapolis, MN
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Minneapolis, MN
- Workplace Accident Lawyers in Minneapolis, MN
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in Minneapolis