Hall Law Personal Injury Attorneys 825 Nicollet Mall, Suite 615 Minneapolis, MN 55402 personal injury and car accident lawyer in Minneapolis

FAQs: Car Accident Reports in Minnesota

FAQs: Car Accident Reports in Minnesota

Unfortunately, car accidents are common throughout Minnesota. 

According to the Minnesota Department of Public Safety, there were 488 traffic fatalities in 2021. Speed, drunk driving, and distracted driving caused most of them. We can assume that many other accidents resulted in minor to catastrophic injuries.

Minnesota drivers need to know what to do if they get into an accident. By reporting the accident quickly, they can minimize liability and maximize the chances of recovering money for injuries.

Whom Should I Call if I Get Into a Car Accident? 

Even the most level-headed people can become disoriented after a car accident. It is important to call the right people to help you navigate the aftermath. 

Call an Ambulance

If you get into a serious car accident, you should always call 911 and seek emergency medical care. While some injuries are obvious, like cuts and burns, the symptoms of head and brain injuries may be more subtle. Getting to a doctor fast can lessen the severity of the injury. If you aren’t injured, but another person is, you are also required to call 911.

Call Your Doctor

Even if you and the other driver aren’t seriously hurt, you should see a doctor within a day or two of getting into a car accident. Injuries can become more apparent over time, and it is important to document your health condition at the time. Plus, you will have medical records and established care with a doctor if you need to go to trial later.

Call Your Lawyer 

Most people aren’t thinking about litigation first thing after a car accident, but it is important to call a car accident lawyer. Lawyers are experienced in talking to insurance companies and negotiating settlements. 

You’ll need to contact both your insurance and the at-fault driver’s insurance company soon after an accident, and you’ll like having a lawyer to help you. A lawyer will act as your representative and speak on your behalf. This will protect you from saying the wrong thing or admitting fault. Your lawyer will have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit after most car accidents. 

Do I Have To Report a Car Accident in Minnesota?

Minnesota law only requires drivers to report an accident to the police if there is an injury. It also requires at-fault drivers to stop and exchange information in the case of a collision that causes property damage, injury, or death. However, it is usually a good idea to report the accident to the police so that they can collect evidence and write an official report for insurance purposes.

How Long Do I Have To Call the Police After Getting Into a Car Accident?

If there are any injuries from the accident, you should immediately call the police and remain at the scene. The driver is required to render reasonable assistance to any injured person, and it is a crime to leave the scene of an accident without doing so. 

If there are no injuries, you have 72 hours to exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver or the police after an accident. However, it is best to exchange that information immediately. You should always have your insurance information in the car so that you can provide it if necessary.

You usually need to make a report to insurance within a few days of an accident, so it is important to contact them promptly.

What if I Share Some of the Fault for the Accident?

If you’re worried that you are at fault for the car accident, you must still report it according to the law. Minnesota follows a modified comparative fault rule, which means you can still recover money as long as you are less responsible for the accident than the other driver. Even if you think you caused the accident, accidents happen quickly, and it can be difficult to see what was going on in the other car.

An Experienced Car Accident Lawyer Can Assist from the Start

A car accident report could impact your ability to receive compensation for your injuries, so it is important to file one on time and comply with Minnesota law. With an experienced car accident lawyer to help, you can rest assured that your claim will be in good hands and that all of the necessary procedures will be followed. Most car accident lawyers offer free consultations to review your case, so reaching out could very well be worth your time.

Contact the Minnesota Car Accident Law Firm of Hall Law Personal Injury Attorneys For Help Today

For more information, please contact an experienced car accident lawyer at Hall Law Personal Injury Attorneys to schedule a free initial consultation today. We have three convenient locations in Minnesota, including Minneapolis, St. Cloud, and Edina.

We proudly serve Hennepin County, Stearns County, and its surrounding areas:

Hall Law Personal Injury Attorneys – Minneapolis
825 Nicollet Mall, Suite 615
Minneapolis, MN 55402
(800) 292-1979

Hall Law Personal Injury Attorneys – St. Cloud
1010 W St Germain St # 320
St Cloud, MN 56301
(320) 255-1000

Hall Law Personal Injury Attorneys – Edina
5200 Willson Rd #203
Edina, MN 55424
(952) 697-5560

Call Now Button