As the victim of sexual abuse in Edina, Minnesota, you have rights. In addition to pressing charges against your abuser, you can file a civil lawsuit and demand monetary justice for the suffering and trauma you’ve experienced. The award-winning Edina sexual abuse lawyers at Hall Law Personal Injury Attorneys can help you make the most of your legal fight for compensation.
Hall Law Personal Injury Attorneys has been a champion for victims of sexual assault and abuse in Edina and throughout the great State of Minnesota since 1979. We’re top-rated litigators with 80+ years of combined experience and a demonstrated passion for making a difference in the lives of the victims we represent.
Our personal injury law firm has won over $90 million in damages for clients like you. Today, we’re here to help you fight for the justice you deserve, too.
How Hall Law Personal Injury Attorneys Fights for Victims of Sexual Abuse in Edina, MN
Criminal sexual assault charges can help to ensure that the person who abused you is punished for their actions.
However, a conviction won’t pay for your medical bills, offset a sudden loss of income, or give you the closure you need to move forward with your life.
That’s where our Edina personal injury lawyers can help.
By filing a civil sexual abuse lawsuit, we can pursue monetary compensation from your abuser and/or other potentially responsible parties.
This will give you the opportunity to cover your injury-related costs and get justice for how you’ve been wronged.
When you turn to Hall Law Personal Injury Attorneys for help with your civil sexual abuse case, you’ll be able to count on us to:
- Review the results of criminal investigations conducted by the local police and other law enforcement agencies
- Conduct an independent inquiry into the circumstances of your sexual abuse case
- Obtain medical records, police reports, witness statements, photographs, video recordings, forensic reports, and other evidence needed to build a compelling claim
- Determine who, other than the person who sexually abused you, might be legally and financially responsible for your damages
- File all insurance claims, court documents, and claims on your behalf
- Aggressively seek a top-dollar settlement during negotiations with defense attorneys and insurance companies
- Represent your best interests if your sexual abuse lawsuit goes to trial in Hennepin County, MN
Facing your abuser can be intimidating. You don’t have to navigate this difficult time in your life on your own. Our sexual abuse attorneys in Edina are here to help. We’ll represent you on contingency, so it costs nothing to get our award-winning legal representation unless we win your sexual abuse lawsuit.
Contact our legal team in Edina, MN, to set up your free consultation today.
Decades of Experience Handling All Types of Civil Sexual Assault Cases
Sexual abuse isn’t just a crime. In Minnesota, it’s conduct that can give rise to civil liability.
At Hall Law Personal Injury Attorneys, we are passionate advocates for victims in all types of sexual abuse lawsuits, including:
- Sexual assault
- Date rape
- Sexual battery
- Institutional sexual abuse
- Child sexual abuse
- Domestic violence
- Workplace sexual abuse
If you’ve been the victim of sexual abuse – by a stranger, an acquaintance, a teacher, a coach, or a member of the clergy – contact our law firm for immediate legal assistance. We’re here to provide the guidance and support you need and offer insight into your potential legal options for recovery.
What Do I Have To Prove To Win a Civil Sexual Abuse Lawsuit in Edina?
Most sexual abuse lawsuits in Minnesota are based on the intentional tort of battery or negligence.
When a sexual abuse lawsuit is based on battery, it’s generally filed against the specific person who attacked you.
In these cases, you must prove:
- The defendant made harmful or offensive contact with you,
- The defendant’s actions were intentional, and
- You did not consent to the sexual contact.
In other words, the defendant set out to make contact with an intimate part of your body and/or engage in sexual conduct and was successful.
Sexual abuse lawsuits aren’t just limited to abusers. You can also potentially file a legal claim against a third party whose actions allowed the assault to occur.
In a negligence action, you must prove:
- The defendant owed you a duty of care
- The defendant breached this duty of care in some way
- The defendant’s actions were an actual and proximate cause of your sexual abuse, and
- You’ve suffered damages.
For instance, you might have a legitimate negligence action against your abuser’s employer, a property owner or business, a government agency, or a school or religious institution. If you can demonstrate that they were negligent – perhaps through inadequate security or improper hiring – then they might be financially responsible for resulting damages.
What Damages Can Be Awarded to Victims of Sexual Abuse in Edina?
Victims of sexual abuse in Edina can pursue compensatory in a civil personal injury lawsuit.
Compensatory damages fall into two distinct categories: economic and non-economic.
Economic awards are intended to offset the monetary losses and expenses associated with sexual abuse, such as:
- Hospitalization, surgery, medication, medical devices, and other current medical bills
- Future medical treatment and bills
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Lost wages and earnings
- Diminished earning capacity
- Nursing care
- Out-of-pocket expenses
Not all consequences of sexual abuse come with a fixed cost or price. That’s where non-economic awards are applicable.
Non-economic damages are paid to help victims of sexual abuse cope with the trauma and suffering they experience, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of consortium
- Chronic physical pain
- Emotional distress
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Reduced quality of life
In cases where a lawsuit is filed directly against an abuser, punitive damages might also be applicable. Under Minnesota state law, punitive damages can be awarded when there’s clear and convincing evidence that the defendant displayed a “deliberate disregard for the rights or safety of others.”
Intentionally violating another person’s intimate and personal space and touching them in a sexual and/or offensive manner clearly disregards the victim’s rights.
Expect the abuser, their defense attorneys, and other defendants to downplay the seriousness of the sexual assault. They’ll minimize your injuries. They’ll try to victim-blame. They’ll try to argue that your life hasn’t been affected all that much.
Count on our sexual abuse attorneys in Edina to fight for you at every turn. We’ll carefully investigate your case and work closely with experts and specialists as we build your case. Relying on their insight and expertise, we’ll be fully prepared to leverage a life-changing settlement or verdict for you when the time comes.
How Much Is My Edina Sexual Abuse Lawsuit Worth?
Sexual abuse can have aa profound impact on nearly every aspect of your life. It’s important to consider how your life has changed since you were sexually assaulted when calculating the value of your claim for damages.
- What physical injuries did you sustain when you were sexually abused?
- Can you continue working?
- Has your earning capacity changed?
- Will you require long-term medical or psychological treatment?
- What are your out-of-pocket costs and expenses?
- How old are you?
- Are you able to continue living your life normally?
The more your life changes, the more you can typically expect to recover in a sexual abuse lawsuit. You can make the most of your fight for compensation by turning to an experienced sexual assault attorney near you in Edina, MN, for help. At Hall Law Personal Injury Attorneys, we’re always here to provide the support you need – 24/7/365.
What’s the Statute of Limitations for Civil Sexual Abuse Lawsuits in Minnesota?
The statute of limitations for civil sexual abuse lawsuits depends on the age of the victim as well as many other factors. You must file your civil sexual abuse lawsuit before the applicable statute of limitations expires. Once the deadline passes, you will lose the opportunity to demand justice for the horrible suffering you’ve endured.
Contact our law office for more information and for help determining the amount of time you have to file a lawsuit in your case.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Trusted Edina Sexual Abuse Lawyer
Have you recently been sexually abused or assaulted in Edina, Minnesota? Contact Hall Law Personal Injury Attorneys. As a victim, you have the right to take legal action and fight for compensation. Our Edina sexual abuse lawyers can help you fight for the maximum financial recovery you need and deserve.
Hall Law Personal Injury Attorneys has been a trusted advocate for victims of sexual abuse in Minnesota for more than 44 years. Count on our award-winning legal team to help you make things right.
We offer a free initial case evaluation, so contact our Edina law office to schedule yours today.
Our personal injury law firm in Edina, MN, also provides:
- Car Accident Lawyers in Edina, MN
- Catastrophic Attorney in Edina
- Child Injury Lawyer in Edina
- Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Edina
- Brain Injury Attorney in Edina, MN
- Dog Bite Lawyers in Edina
- Motorcycle Lawyer in Edina, MN
- Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers in Edina
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Edina
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Edina, MN