30 Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer
When another party is responsible for causing you serious harm, the first course of action is finding a qualified personal injury lawyer. It’s not uncommon for attorneys to claim they are experienced in handling personal injury cases, when in reality, their services are limited or unlikely to truly help you recover the compensation you deserve.
You want to know that your personal injury lawyer has significant experience in your type of case and quality reviews from past clients. A great place to start is by taking advantage of the free consultations typically offered by Minneapolis personal injury lawyers.
Questions to ask a personal injury lawyer:
1. Will you be the one actually handling my case? Or will you be delegating it to another lawyer or team of lawyers in the office?
2. Will other team members, such as paralegals or law clerks, be working on my case? What is their experience?
3. Do you have the staff and financial resources needed to handle my case?
4. What is your success rate?
5. Are you currently busy with other cases right now? Do you have time to dedicate to my case as well?
6. For how long have you been practicing law in Minnesota? Where did you attend law school?
7. How long have you been practicing personal injury law?
8. Do other attorneys or law firms refer cases to you?
9. How do your peers and other firms view you?
10. Do you belong to any professional organizations? If yes, which ones?
11. Has your license ever been revoked or suspended? If yes, can you tell me why?
12. Have you or your firm received recognition in terms of awards or honors?
13. Have you ever handled a personal injury case like mine before? What was the outcome?
14. What percentage of your practice is dedicated to personal injury law?
15. How many of your personal injury cases have been taken to trial?
16. In my situation, about how long would it take to resolve the case and receive compensation for my injuries?
17. Will my case need to go to trial? Or do cases like mine typically settle outside of court?
18. After hearing the details of my case, what do you think the outcome will be?
19. Are there any potential issues or difficulties already evident in my case?
20. What’s my case’s value? How much compensation would you recommend settling for?
21. If I do not accept the settlement offer, are you willing to take my case to trial?
22. How do you know when to accept a settlement or when to go to court?
23. What role will I play in the case?
24. Do you have references? I’d like to speak to a few of your past clients about your track record and working style.
25. If I hire you, how often will I receive communication from you about the status of my case and updates?
26. Will I be able to speak directly to you, or the attorney handling my case, when I call or email?
27. What is a contingency fee arrangement?
28. How much is your contingency fee if the case settles? If a lawsuit is filed?
29. If I become desperate for money due to my injury, will you help with an advance against the case?
30. Will I be responsible for any out-of-pocket costs if we lose?
What to Look for When Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer
Once you ask a personal injury lawyer all of the necessary questions, there are a few factors/criteria to consider when choosing to hire one.
Focused Practice Area
Some attorneys try to do it all. It is important to choose an attorney who focuses on personal injury.
An inexperienced trial will put you and your case at a disadvantage.
Choose an attorney who has a record of accomplishment and can deliver results.
Personal injury cases are expensive to prepare and require time, medical experts, accident reconstruction experts, and more. There should be staff dedicated to your case and fully preparing it.
Client referrals from other lawyers or satisfied clients is a reflection on an attorney’s or firm’s quality and skill.
Contingency Fee Basis
Hiring an attorney who works on a contingency fee basis means they believe in your case.
Why Should You Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
An attorney has your best interests at heart and won’t take a settlement offer that doesn’t compensate you completely for your injuries. When you file a claim with an insurance company, you may be surprised to find that they will make you a settlement offer right away.
Possibly before you’ve even had time to consult with a lawyer. This is no accident. Insurance companies have highly experienced claim evaluators who know your claim value, but will try to pay as little as possible.
Hiring an attorney early on in the claims process will allow time for a full factual investigation into the circumstances surrounding your accident. Crucial evidence will be preserved that may help win your case or a higher settlement offer.
Personal injury lawyers will also explore all sources of recovery in your case. There may be multiple potential defendants and naming each one can be critical to making sure you receive the compensation you are entitled to. Immediately after an accident, you may think that you understand all of the expenses that will arise as a result of your injuries.
However, without an evaluation by a personal injury lawyer, it can be difficult to anticipate future costs.
Lastly, and probably most important, an experienced lawyer has a deep understanding of the claims process. They will be able to develop a strong legal strategy unique to your case in order to maximize your recovery.
Contact Hall Law P.A. Today
Have been injured in an accident as the result of someone else’s negligence in Minneapolis? The personal injury lawyers at Hall Law P.A. would be glad to meet with you to review your case and present you with your legal options. We have personal injury lawyers in St. Cloud, Edina and Downtown Minneapolis. Contact us today online or by calling 1 (800) 292-1979 to schedule your free initial consultation.